2018 Documentary Short Film Fund
* ‘Indigenous’ includes First Peoples, Native, First Nations and Aboriginal peoples who belong to; or who have had an uninterrupted relationship with their land.* This is distinct from those people who have arrived from another place to live in a country.
Application The application for the 2018 Documentary Short Film Fund is currently accepting submissions.
Deadline May 14, 2018
- Projects with at least one Native and Indigenous Key Creative (Director or Creative Producer) globally (ie. Native American/Native Alaskan/Pacific Islander/First Nations/Maori/Australian Aboriginal/Sami/other Indigenous communities)
- Directors at any career stage with at least 1 completed short film that premiered at an international film festival or online platform
- Filmmakers known and unknown to The Guardian and Sundance Institute
What are we looking for?
- Journalistic approaches to accessible and urgent stories of topical, contemporary issues that have not been told
- New perspectives to The Guardian’s audience
- Underrepresented stories and filmmakers
- Stories that can be effectively told in a short format (15-30 minutes)
- Stories that are relevant and resonate with global audiences
- Character driven stories with a clear narrative arc and character journeys that go beyond portraiture.
- Stories and characters that surprise you, ignite your curiosity and teach you something about the world
- Stories that offer hope, redemption and have a clear sense of purpose
- Projects at all stages of production – secured access to subjects and location required
- Verite led filmmaking, with diverse representation in front of the camera
- High production value and sound quality
What will I need in order to apply?
- 1-2 page treatment detailing:
- What is the story and structure? Provide an overview of your story, introducing the main characters and plot points. Describe narrative trajectory or potential story arcs for your subjects.
- What is your artistic approach?
- Confirmed access to characters and story
- Key Creative Team Biographies – Director and a Producer must be attached ( Director and producer must have a Producer’s agreement or MOU in place)
- Timeline – project must have a clear schedule to complete within 1 year of granting
- Film Budget – line item budget detailing project costs from development through distribution
- Trailer / Visual Sample
- Prior Work Sample
What happens after I apply?
Notifications will not be made on a rolling basis. Please do not contact the office to request status updates. Due to the high volume of applications, we do not provide any feedback.
What if I have questions?
Find answers to more FAQ.
If you have additional questions about the 2018 Documentary Short Film Fund, please email Hajnal Molnar-Szakacs, Film Fund Director, Sundance Institute at email@example.com.
To apply, sign in or signup.